Follow @GarethSoye

Tuesday 13 July 2010

Illness, it's a bit of a larf...

A young neighbour managed to make it to my sister's wedding just before she died. She had cancer and was skin and bone in a wheel chair. No one laughed.

My friends dad died last Christmas from Motor Neuron disease. He couldn't do a thing at the end. Stuck in a lifeless body with no control over it. No one laughed.

So why did we all piss ourselves when Gazza turned up to see his 'old mate Moaty' last weekend just before he shot himself?

Gazza is ill. He didn't catch anything (well he may have but that's normal enough in Newcastle), he didn't develop any tumors or bits didn't start falling off him. But he's still a very sick man. Still, it's mental illness so it's funny. Isn't it?

Now I'll admit that his interview with local radio did cause me to chuckle. But there's also an underlying feeling of guilt. Why would I laugh at this sick man but not piss myself when I see Stephen Hawking?

Even last weeks protagonist who caused Sky News to go into such a frenzy of 'news gathering' clearly had issues. See, can't even call it sickness, have to say 'issues'.

Now there's no doubt that Raoul Moat should never have done what he did. The shooting other people bit. But why can't we rationally talk about why he did it?

For our friends who read the Daily Mail this does NOT mean that anyone is trying to excuse his actions. It means that there have to be reasons behind them, and don't you think that perhaps trying to find out what these reasons were, and perhaps therefore preventing something similar happening in the future, might be a sensible course of action?

See I've made a mistake there. Well a couple of them. Firstly I assumed that Daily Mail readers are capable of rational thought and secondly that they are capable of sensible courses of action. Rather than the usual 'lock-em-up' or 'send-em-home' ideas.

Nevertheless shouldn't the rest of us be able to discuss it? Perhaps not.

We've never seemed comfortable talking about mental illness. Dunno why. Fear, maybe? Or perhaps the realisation that somewhere deep in our minds we could have the same 'issues'.

Moat apparently complained at the end that no one loved him and he didn't have a father. Given that his mother said he'd be 'better off dead' you can probably see where he's coming from.

The father-figure or lack of one is something increasingly more prevalent today. There is an increasing number of children who reach their teens without having any male role-model in their lives. Daddy might have never been around, or might have left when he found out he was going to be a daddy.

And of course seeing as all men are pedophiles we can't possibly allow them to be teachers in primary schools.

There's a stigma with mental illness. People don't feel comfortable admitting it. Perhaps it's something to do with the fact that if you said you were suffering from something like MS you wouldn't get many people telling you to 'pull yourself together', which seems to be the super-duper solution to every mental illness under the sun.

I don't really know where I'm going with this. It's difficult even to write about because you fear someone will just make light of it or make fun of you for doing so.

So maybe I should just end on a joke?

Who's going to pay the expenses for that Moat last week?

See what I did there? Now I feel guilty and disgusting for doing it. But I'm mentally ill and unfortunately it causes me to have to think in a million different ways about practically everything I do or say.

And that isn't a joke.

15 comments:

  1. Hard subject to tackle indeed Gaz, you'd have to be mad to try.

    Whoops.

    No, seriously, good blog and definetly food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent H2.

    There should be comedy involved in everything in my opinion.

    As long as it doesn't stop the sensible thought stuff too.

    Now I fancy some chicken wings and a spot of fishing, anyone got Gazza's number?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well i'm crazy...













    Crazy about your frigging blog and its awesomeness... brilliant man, you have the gift writing words good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Or perhaps the realisation that somewhere deep in our minds we could have the same 'issues'."

    That's the highlight, and it makes me mental. Fantastic dude..........

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great blog Gaz. My girlfriend has recently finished her medication for post natal depression.
    Whilst suffering from it she had an affair, only 8 months after our son was born and whilst she was still on maternity leave. I'm now living back at my parents, as the house was in her name, and I only get to see my kids (I also have a three year old daughter) every other day...now that's mental.

    I tell you, life can just be fucking hilarious without even meaning to be, seriously, the more I think about it the funnier it gets.

    Keep up the good work Gaz...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes you just have to laugh OST. Otherwise you'd go insane.

    Sorry to hear about your troubles (genuinely I am, not just the 'be nice' type of sorry).

    Like I said above, things happen because of reasons. That's not justifying them. Hopefully you are still talking to your girlfriend (that sounds funny). Not to sound all lovey-dovey-woo-hooey crap or anything but it's amazing what talking can do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gaz, that's what I'm saying. It is funny, ok not laugh out loud funny but it really could be made into a BBC one comedy, oh hang on they're not funny at all er... well anyway what I'm saying is people laugh at things inappropriately, well like at BBC one comedies, but you're not necessarily laughing at the person but at the absurdness of the situation.

    I didn't post for sympathy it was because the blog hit a chord but it's appreciated and yes everything's amicable, it's got to be for the kids.

    Right I'm off to find a gun dealer, camping equipment and a certain fuckwit. Knowing my luck I’ll get Ralph Milne trying to find me to give me chicken wings and a couple (or a lot, allegedly)of beers. Ralph if your reading this make it a couple of bottles of Brakspeare will you, and I fucking hate fishing so no fishing rod.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gaz,
    excellent blog on a difficult subject. Sometimes its a very very fine line when to laugh and when not to.
    Take Gazza
    For a start you cant understand a word he says, his performance on Weakest Link with the ginger minge was brilliant, he won.
    Then he pops up in the news every few months, you dont know whether to laugh at him, or cry with him

    ReplyDelete
  9. Laugh at him Tone, it's the done thing.

    Old Staff'

    Good to hear from you again mate, you've been missed on the Robbo blog. I sincerly wish you all the best, having been through a similar situation I know the hurt you must be feeling.

    Gaz, I also live my life with the attitude if you can't laugh, then you might as well go crawl into a hole and shrivel up. A handy defence mechanism when things don't go as you would of wished.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gaz,

    Clearly an article to which you have given considerable thought and attention; written with sensitivity and understanding, it deserves a much wider audience than this forum will sadly provide.

    My own experiences suggest that not only does a stigma attach to mental illness but it is very poorly understood by a great many people.

    Thank you for taking the time out to write so eloquently and insightfully on a very difficult and sensitive subject.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the kind words Preach.

    My experiences are much and the same. I have made a decision myself though and that is to talk to anyone who wishes to. I am past caring that people may or may not make fun of me for admitting my illness.

    That's not to say you can't laugh at it. As H2H says, there's a difference.

    And I do wish there would be more people able to read this. Please feel free to email any newspaper editors you may know :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. i think theres laughter and theres laughter; i think you're talking about the laughter which excludes and stigmatises, gaz and youre right, of course

    beyond that id better not comment due to my pathological inability to take anything seriously and this is one of those subjects people get veeeery serious about.

    as for moat and the other psycho who shot a few people in cumbria, mental illness isn't an adequate description. he didnt have a dad. so he tried to kill a few people? that wont do.

    the media to be fair poured over the cumbrian killings looking for a meaning and guess what

    there wasnt one. evil is the absence of meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  13. FFS!! I had a whole decent reply written to you there bloggy and it fecked up when trying to post it.

    And much like your inability to take stuff seriously I have an inability to repeat stuff. Some call it laziness. But they're just wankers :)

    The gist was that as I said in the blog the 'haven't got a dad' thing is in no way meant to be an excuse. But maybe a reason. There's a big difference in my book.

    And I haven't exactly had a normal life but I haven't killed anyone.

    I am hate-filled though. Apparently :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete